Friday, April 7, 2017

Low Carb White Enchilada Bake

One of our favorite family meals for a few years now has been Easy Cheesy White Enchiladas. It was a quick and easy meal that was total comfort food deliciousness. When I would make this, I always had to make 2 or 3 pans of it because everyone would absolutely devour it. Even so, leftovers were rare.

I have had such a taste for it for the last several months, but now that I'm low carb (and my middle kiddle has decided to follow suit) I knew this was not a meal that I could make for all of us to enjoy. 

Or could I? I mean, there had to be a way to make this low carb.. obviously removing the tortillas would help a lot. But what about the rest of the ingredients? Could I even make a roux without flour? 

So, I set to work to find out. And you know what? It can be done without changing too much. And it was even less work than making the original carb heavy version. And the kicker? It turned out absolutely delicious with only 3.6 net carbs for 1/6th of the pan! Definite score!!

If you are living the low carb lifestyle and looking for some ultra yummy comfort food, look no further cuz I've got your back! 

Ingredients:
  •  6 chicken thighs, boneless skinless, cooked and shredded
  • 1 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
  • 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 2 Tbsp super fine almond flour
  • 1/4 tsp xanthan gum 
  • 2 cups of beef broth
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 (4 oz) can of diced green chilies
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Now that we've got the all star ingredients, let's roll up our sleeves and get to work. 
  1. Preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease a baking dish. (9x13 works well)
  2. Mix together the shredded chicken and 1/2  cup of the shredded Monterey Jack cheese and 1/2 cup of the Mozzarella Cheese. Place this into your baking dish. 
  3. In a saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the almond flour. Cook for a minute just to cook out the floury taste. Whisk in beef broth until smooth. Add in your xanthan gum and whisk well. Cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until thick and slightly bubbly but NOT fully boiling. Remove from heat.
  4. Stir in the sour cream, chilies, Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup of the Monterey Jack and 1/2 cup of the Mozzarella cheese. Mix very well.
  5. Pour evenly over the shredded chicken mixture, give it a bit of a stir to coat the chicken and top evenly with remaining Monterey Jack cheese. Sprinkle with a touch more Parmesan cheese.
  6. Bake for 15-20 minutes til cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
That's it! Easy Peasy, right? My daughter and I ate this as is, in a bowl on top of some baby spinach. Yum! For my hubster and teen, they ate theirs by scooping it up with tortilla chips. Delicious either way, I'm sure! 

If you try this out, please come on back and let me know in the comments below what you thought! I'd love to hear from you. 

(Depending on the brand of ingredients you use, your carb count may differ from mine. I entered all my ingredients in by brand and I got 3.6 net carbs.)

Love and Light! 
RyanAnn
5:11 PM / by / 0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad