Monday, January 7, 2019

English Muffin Bread

This is most definitely one of the easiest breads I've ever made. 
Toasted English muffin bread and coffee

And trust me when I say that a lot of bread has been made with these hands, aaaand passed through these lips. 

Straight to my hips. 

Seriously, I feel you Shakira. My hips don't lie either. 

Anyways, back to the bread... 

This stuff whips up like a dream, bakes up beautifully, and when toasted, tastes just like an English Muffin. You get the nooks, the crannies, and all of the deliciousness. 

I've got several variations in the works, but this is the base recipe for all of em. 

Note: I usually use honey to sweeten this, but I knew my 8 month old peanut would be eating it so I replaced the honey with sugar this time around. Cuz you know, the whole botulism/ honey/ babies under 12 months thing. I've read that cooking/ baking isn't high enough heat to kill the potential spores, so I err on the side of caution. 
English muffin bread rising

All you need is:
  • 2 and 2/3 cups of warm water
  • 2 Tbsp sugar (you can totally use honey instead) 
  • 3 and 1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
  • 1 Tbsp salt
  • 5 and 1/2 cups of All Purpose Flour
  • 2 Tbsp butter, melted
English muffin bread baked

  1. In a large bowl, add the water, sugar (or honey), and yeast. Give it a stir and let sit for 5 minutes or so to let the yeast proof.
  2. Add the flour and salt and mix very well. This is not going to come together or look like regular old bread dough, so don't freak out and throw it away thinking you messed up. This is a VERY wet sticky dough. 
  3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap (or a warm damp towel) and let rise until the dough touches the top of the bowl. This took about 40 minutes for me. 
  4. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease two loaf pans. Divide the dough between the two pans. Yes, I know, the dough is crazy sticky! It can help to spray some cooking spray on your hands to help minimize the sticking. 
  5. Cover the pans and let sit til the dough reaches the tops of the pans. This took about 30 minutes for me.
  6. Pop the pans into the preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. READ: 5 to 10 minutes before your bread is done, pour the melted butter over the tops and finish baking. 
  7. By now, the smell should be driving you absolutely crazy! When the bread is a nice golden brown, remove from oven and cool in pan on wire racks. Wait until completely cool to slice. 

Toast some up and slather with butter.. or jelly.. or both. My hips won't judge you.

Now sit back and listen to the Heavens sing!


12:48 PM / by / 0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad