Saturday, April 13, 2019

Bedroom Makeover On A Budget

Our bedroom was in desperate need of a makeover. About 7 years ago, we turned our dark smokey blue room into a dark purple and black cave. Seriously, I don't know what I was thinking when I chose the colors I did. They are great colors, but they really did nothing for the space they were in. 
Black and purple bedroom

We put up a black canopy and had purple (and red) christmas lights along the ceiling. I guess it fit my mood back then.. But over the years, my tastes changed. My then youngest kiddo loved to pull on the canopy, so that was the first thing to go. We used really cheap paint and didn't prime the walls at all, so fast forward to a year ago and the old blue paint started showing through the newer purple walls and black ceiling. 

We didn't realize that was what was happening tho, so when I was pregnant with my now youngest kiddo, it was really seriously annoying me. I had my hubster take a wet rag and wipe the ceiling down. All was well and my nerves were settled. Until about 3 days later when the streaks came back and brought along about a million friends. You can really see it in the pic below, on the ceiling. Talk about an eyesore!!!
Cheap paint

So we decided it was time to just repaint. I decided that the space needed to be lightened up. Like, a lot. I found a beautiful pale purple and grey and ran them by my hubster. I'll admit, I was a bit worried that he would think the purple was too feminine of a color. I didn't want to be that chick, ya know? Luckily, he loved them and gave the ok. 

Now I just had to piece everything together. 

We bought Behr premium paint with primer in the shades Evening Slipper and Flannel Grey. At around $40 a gallon, the paint was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I didn't want to risk the old paint showing through again, so I decided to splurge a bit. It was definitely worth it and the colors totally transformed the room. 

We had a crappy little shelf that we had spray painted black for the previous makeover and a black tv tray as our bedside tables. 
Old shelf

They HAD to go, but I was not willing to drop a couple hundred dollars each for nightstands. I shopped around.. a lot. I'm not kidding you, I think I looked at just about every store out there. Two hundred for one, FIVE hundred for ONE... Are you serious?? I only had about a hundo budgeted for two of them together. And the cheaper ones had terrible reviews. I was starting to feel defeated. Then I stumbled across one on Overstock. Two of them were going to cost a little over $100 and the reviews were great. I put them in my cart and waited and watched the price. Over the next two weeks or so, sales came and went. Then one day, boom! Together, on an awesome sale, it was going to be exactly $100 for both of them together! Better believe I jumped at that. They fit the space perfectly and I'm extremely happy with them. You'll see them in the last pic. 

I've been back on a major decluttering kick again and really wanted to get rid of a ton of crap, especially eye clutter. So most of the shelves that were previously on our walls did not go back up. After putting all of our dvds into a dvd case, the metal dvd stands were kissed goodbye as well. Minimizing what was on that wall and dresser was a total breath of fresh air! We mounted our tv on the wall, too. The tv mount kit was like $30. 
BEFORE:
Cluttered wall
AFTER:
Decluttered dresser

More decluttering happened in the closet, tho I don't have a good before pic of that before I emptied it out to paint. Let me just say that our closet was a total trainwreck. We had my husband's dresser in there and storage containers full of junk crammed in every space possible. 

We gave my husband's dresser to our youngest kiddo and we are now sharing my dresser, half and half.  That alone freed up a ton of space in the closet. We also installed some adjustable shelving on both sides of the closet to put shoes and purses and stuff. We're really digging how open it is in there now! I'm still working on going through the stuff that's in the last storage bin. (No clue why there's a toy in my laundry basket, tho. Life with kids, ya'll. )
BEFORE:
Closet ready to paint
AFTER:
Closet painted

Closet makeover on a budget

I definitely wanted to get rid of the black curtains, too. I found the perfect pair but they sold out before I could buy them. My second choice worked out beautifully, tho, in my opinion. 

Black curtains

I went through all of our knick knacks and chose my absolute favorites (mostly the succulents and flowers) to be displayed on shelves that flank our bed and we got rid of the rest. 

I brought up our storage bench and put that at the foot of our bed to store our older comforter. I did update our comforter. I bought one thinking it was a flat grey one very similar to our older one that was brown. I was a bit disappointed to see that in real life, it wasn't quite a flat grey, but rather a silver. It's grown on me tho and now I love it. The old one will come back out next Fall/Winter as it's quite a bit heavier. 

My favorite part of the makeover tho is this bed. My entire life, I've wanted a bed with a headboard. Ya know, like an actual bed. I've only ever had a mattress on the box spring and metal frame that you buy with the mattress. (Aside from when I had a metal futon when I was pregnant with my first kiddo.. that was an awful idea!) I couldn't justify spending a ton of money on it tho.. They can be SO pricey! So I  found a couple that we liked at different stores online. I added them all to the sites' carts and I waited. I waited and watched the prices go up and down. I waited and waited and watched and waited some more. Finally, a crazy awesome sale hit and the price was beyond ahhhhmazing. Knowing we would likely never see the price that low again, we jumped on it. Seriously ya'll, we paid less than half the original price. That's a super mega win in my book!!
BEFORE:
Before bedroom makeover
 AFTER:
Bedroom makeover

Doesn't that look so much better?! Seriously, I walk into our room now and I instantly smile. I sleep so much better (well, as well as I can sleep with our youngest peanut hogging the bed.) and wake up happier, too. 

I absolutely love the way that our bedroom turned out. I'm so happy that even tho my hubster couldn't see my vision, he trusted it. I know it wasn't easy, not knowing if it would turn out well, but he just kept saying "whatever makes you happy will make me happy, babe." And in the end? He absolutely loves it, too. Which is a total win!

Our floor is in terrible shape but we'll tackle that project next year. 
4:51 PM / by / 0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad