Thursday, January 12, 2012

Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole

     This is ridiculously yummy and very simple. Most cheeseburger casserole recipes that I have come across have noodles and such in them, which honestly didn't appeal much to me. And most of them don't  have mashed potatoes, but I love me some mashed potatoes. LOL I guess you could say it's somewhere between a... cheeseburger casserole and a shepherds pie? I don't know, whatever you want to say it's a cross between, you gotta try it. TOTAL comfort food. :)

     I will say, I have tried using ground sirloin and it just was NOT the same. So I usually use the 80% ground beef and when it's done cooking, I take the grease out of the pan. Suits me juuuuust fine. Also, I use a good 5lbs of meat, but this feeds myself, my two children and my husband who seriously has a bottomless stomach AND we have a really nice amount leftover for lunches the next day. If you are looking for a slightly different version (and less) please check out my slightly revised, and dare I say, even yummier version right here.


cheeseburger casserole

You will need:
  • around 4lbs of 80% ground beef
  • 1/2 of a sleeve of crushed buttery crackers (Ritz or similar)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 Tbsp season salt
  • 1 Tbsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 2-3 cups of prepared mashed potatoes
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • bacon, just a couple slices

Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 350F.
  2. In large bowl, combine crushed crackers with Parmesan cheese, season salt, garlic powder and pepper. Add your milk, stir and let sit for a couple minutes while the milk is absorbed.
  3. Mix this wet mixture together with your ground beef. Get in there with your hands and make sure you mix it well.
  4. Place meat mixture into a large baking dish and pat into a semi flat loaf almost the same size of the baking dish you are using. You don't want it to be TOO thick though, or it will take forever to cook.
  5. Pop in the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
  6. While it is baking, fry up a couple slices of bacon. Drain on a paper towel and crumble into pieces.
  7. Take meat out of the oven and remove as much grease from your pan as you can. (There will probably be a lot!) Your best bet is to use a baster. You can blot the grease from the top with paper towel if you'd like, too, but I don't.
  8. Top meat with about 1/3 of the cheese, then evenly with your mashed potatoes, then the remaining cheddar and then the bacon.
  9. Place back in the oven and make for another 10 minutes or so.
  10. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
There you have meat, dairy and potato all in one. A salad would balance this meal out nicely. :)
9:05 PM / by / 2 Comments

2 comments:

  1. This is Nisha glad I found this girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Nisha. I'm glad you found this, too. It is so freakin' yummy. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete

Post Top Ad