Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Blueberry Muffin Cookies with Vanilla Lemon Icing

I wanted a cookie that was outside of my normal cookie line up. Searching through recipe after recipe, I just couldn't find what i was looking for. I had an idea for Blueberry Muffin Cookies... But that was just too plain. Glaze them? Frost them? ooooooh- drizzle them with icing. Even better? Drizzle them with a Vanilla Meyer Lemon Icing. 

So now i have images of these beautiful cookies dancing around inside my head. Where to start? I hopped on google to see what was out there. And most of what i came across were recipes that called for a box of blueberry muffin mix. Well, uh, NO. That will just not do for me. I like my baking to be from scratch as often as possible, if not always. The majority of these cookies tho, all looked like blueberry muffin tops. Literally like someone made muffins, cut the tops off and said "oh look! Now it's a cookie!" No, my friend... Those are just decapitated muffins. And a decapitated muffin does NOT a cookie make. lol 

 I started digging through my own recipes and brainstorming and found the perfect base for this cookie. My Banana Bread Cookies. They come out SOOO incredibly moist, just like banana bread, but in cookie form AND texture. And it worked out amazingly well for this recipe. Exactly what I had pictured and hoped for. So here it is...

Soft sweet cookie with a banana bread texture, bursting with blueberries and topped off with a refreshing vanilla lemon icing. YUM
Seriously, is that a yummy breakfast cookie, or whaaaat?
You Need:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 banana, peeled and mashed
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup quick cook oats
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 pint of blueberries, washed, drained and patted completely dry
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease or spray cookie sheets. (or use parchment paper)
  2. In a medium size bowl, cream butter and sugar.
  3. Beat in eggs, vanilla and banana.
  4. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix thoroughly.
  5. Add blueberries and GENTLY fold into cookie dough. (Yes, you have to be gentle. You don't want to break the blueberries. They haven't done anything to you!)
  6. Drop by rounded Tbsp onto cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes til very lightly golden.
  7. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool the rest of the way.
For me- this recipe made 18 really nice size cookies AND 12 smaller cookies- perfectly sized for my kiddies! :) Will make more or less depending on size.


Now for the Icing...

OMG let me just say- you can use a regular old lemon for this- but if you can find Meyer Lemons- USE THEM! A Meyer Lemon is a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange. They are freaking DELICIOUS! They have a slightly sweeter taste than a regular old lemon.

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 - 3 Tbsp Meyer Lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 - 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  1. Combine butter, lemon juice, vanilla and powdered sugar in a bowl. With beaters on low to medium speed, beat til well combined, nice and fluffy.
  2. Now, it should be the consistency of frosting. Maybe a TINY bit thinner. If too thick, add a little bit more lemon juice. If too thin, add a little bit more powdered sugar.
  3. Spoon into a Ziploc baggie, twist the top tightly, snip a tiny corner off of baggie and drizzle onto cookies.
Freaking delicious, man! I hope you enjoy!
10:34 AM / by / 0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad