Friday, April 13, 2012

On The Hunt For Pizza (Much more friendly for diabetics)

     One of my favorite things to stuff my face with eat is pizza. All kinds of pizza, thin crust, thick crust, garlic bread crust, deep dish, cheese, sausage, pepperoni, veggie, pineapple... Seriously, I don't discriminate, I love it all. What food spikes my sugar levels more than ANY other food I have eaten? Yep, pizza. Of course it is. Ugh.

     Upon searching for a way to still enjoy my pizza I have seen and tried quite a few tricks. I think my least favorite was the good old zucchini crust trick. No matter how much I drained the zucchini, the crust still came out too mushy. Then, I remembered seeing a lot of people on weight loss programs eating pizza made on tortilla shells, and thought, "what the hell, I'll give it a try." Well, color me surprised, I loved it AND it did NOT spike my levels!!! With a huge tortilla (carb count of 30g) some cooking spray, a tiny bit of garlic powder, sauce and cheese, I had my fix. And it got nice and crispy and just... ohhhh soooo yummy. I still may not be able to max out on it like I would like to, but it satisfies my craving for pizza in a healthy way. And for now, that's good enough for me. (Of course, my kiddies loved it, too. SCORE!)

     I'm just going to give the recipe for what I used to make one single serve pizza. If you're making more, just use however much more of the ingredients that you need. This one is certainly not rocket science. :)

Tortilla Pizza:
All for me... Come to mama!

This is what I used:
  • Tortilla (I used the big Nuevo Leon burritos size)
  • 1/2 to 1 Tbsp of Contadina Pizza sauce
  • 1/4 cup of store brand Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
  • garlic powder
  • cooking spray
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
  2. Place tortilla on baking sheet and give the tortilla a light spray on both sides.
  3. Lightly sprinkle the top side of tortilla with a bit of garlic powder.
  4. Spread about a Tbsp of sauce on tortilla, leaving some away the edge, like a regular pizza.
  5. Top with cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes, til cheese is nice and bubbly and tortilla is golden and crispy.
  6. Remove from oven, cut and eat. 
Nutritional Info: This is the info for the specific ingredients that *I* used. Yours may be different, so check labels!!  1 pizza: Calories: 290   Fat: 13.5   Carbs: 33g   Dietary Fiber: 1g   Protein: 11g
4:54 PM / by / 0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad