Friday, June 24, 2011

Chunky Crayons

This is a fun little project to do with your kiddies. All you need are some crayons, a muffin tin (I used a mini muffin tin) and an oven. These make GREAT crayons for toddlers because they are chunky and round, making it easier for little hands to hold onto.

  • Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
  •  Use broken bits of crayons or peel the paper away from whatever crayons you are going to use and break into little pieces. (Crayola Crayons really do work best with this)
  • Separate into piles of like colors. Spray your muffin tins with non stick spray.

  • Place crayon bits into the muffin tins however you see fit. I like doing reds, oranges and yellows together and pinks and purples together, and blues and greys... etc. But you can do solid colors, if you want. Or even mix em all up into a rainbow crayon.

  • Place in oven until melted. Usually takes about 10 minutes in my oven. You know they are ready when it resembles paint.

  • This is where I like to get in there with a toothpick and give it a little swirl.
  • Let cool completely, about an hour. Pop em out of the tin and you are ready to rock! (sometimes even with the non stick spray, they will stick. I flip the tin over and give the bottom of each well a smack with a butterknife handle. :)


Even my 12 year old son gets excited about making these! Heck, so do I!

**You can also use those silicon molds for this. I used the tins, because that's what I had on hand. :)
6:56 PM / by / 6 Comments

6 comments:

  1. awesome idea! I'll have to remember this when i have kids! so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I saw this on the web several years back and have done it a few times. The kiddies always enjoy making them, because they get to control what colors they choose and mix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I kinda think so, too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks pretty cool...im going to try this with my kids soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) Thanks. It is definitely a fun little activity. The kiddies usually get SUCH a kick out of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post Top Ad